Sunday, June 27, 2010

Three days of Lessons in Australian Culture

Been here for what feels like an eternity yet was a mere three days and I have learned some much about Australian culture. To start the plan flight really wasn't as bad as I thought. The 18 hours for some reason went by faster than my 8 hour trip to Europe. I arrived off the plan into their dead of winter wearing flannel pajama pants and a t-shirt; I wasn't cold a bit. The temperature outside was 60F and sunny although this was unusual the absolute low here in the winter is 32F with ave. temps around 45F. Once arriving to the couchsurfing house nobody was home but the door was unlocked and the place looked as bad as a college frat house. An interesting first sighting to Australia but I ended up just heading out for the day to take care of setting up my phone and a bank account

The first night I was introduced to goon. Basically, it's a 4L bag-o-wine and the cheapest thing to drink down under. Alcohol and beer is literally twice as expensive as the states so any travelers should probably max out on the 2.25L limit at duty free. Even though I don't smoke, packs of cigarettes are $14 which I believe is also ridiculously expensive.

Another very interesting topic I was introduced to here was dumpster diving. The people I'm staying with and other couch surfers across the city literally dumpster dive for food and vegetables. I ate with a couch surfer Olly last night that has 0 dollars in his name. He's Vegan and has been traveling for 2 1/2 years couch surfing; and literally lives off dumpster diving and other organizations that give away waste so it's not dumped. We went dumpster diving and then cooked up a delicious meal consisting of fruit salad and a vegetable dish. Although I'm not planning on it being a daily occurrence like it is for him, I'm not saying I won't do it.

Other things to note:
1. Excessive use of the word brilliant for anything meaning you like it. For example, "this pizza is brilliant.".
2. They call Macdonals: Mackers.
3. No one heats there houses so at night and early morning it can get cold.
4. They have chia Obama pets.
5. Many others that I just can't think of right now.

Keep it Real,
Jeff

1 comment: