Saturday, July 3, 2010

Settling Down

So I've been here for a little over a week now and am starting to get settled down although still trying to see as much of the city as possible. With that, I've figured out the areas I want to live and have begun house hunting or I should say interviewing. As I want to live in a shared house for reasonable living costs and not knowing many people you have to go on inspections as they call them. Really most places interview people for  like a week and then pick one they want to live with. As I've just started I haven't heard back but I've met some that were really nice places with cool people so I'm hoping to move in this week. Also, most people here want or are looking for split male/female houses or at least the ones I have looked at so far which was different.

Other than house hunting I've been spending my time hanging out with other couch surfers / the house mates. There has been people from Sweden to Madagascar (yes, a guy slept here from Madagascar) with some girls coming from Taiwan in couple days. I've been here the longest and nearly feel as a flatmate as I've set up a shelf with all my clothes on it and usually end up introducing new people to the house if they show up on weekdays. With superiority comes the choice of your sleeping spot which closest to the heater on the best mat obvi reigns supreme. To get an idea of the sleeping arrangements here is a pic (with me on the far end right next to the fireplace in addition to all the other people):



Also, here is a pic of two of the mates that live in the house on the right and then below it the other one taking on some goon (somehow for once in my life I wasn't making a face, weird):


Also I made it down to St. Kilda which is the closest beach to the city like 15 minutes from the CBD, also to the Tim Burton exhibit currently being held in Melbourne which had this really cool light room, down Brunswick St. which is one of the main fashion streets here where two of the girls I was with managed to find some great outfits, and lastly grabbed a drink at pump house (an ode to all the time I spent at pump haus in College):

Also just realized I should share my first driving experience in Aussie. I would have never volunteered in the states to drive but I was rather overly excited to get to try out driving in Australia. Although it was a manual 15 passenger van that didn't have power steering, all went smoothly besides the first 30 seconds where I was driving on the wrong side of the road with everyone screaming at my profusely as I was writing there death warrants. After the median split I cut back over and all was well as I only had to make one turn and it was a left. When your driving on the left side of the road it's rather easy to do that. A pick of the parked van and my first successful driving trip:



Cheers from Aussie Land

No comments:

Post a Comment